Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cupcakes that love you back!

I love sweets. It is an addiction, for sure. I have always loved candies and cakes, but alas, they do not love me back. In the past year, I have discovered the secret to low fat baking, and NO, it is not applesauce.

Applesauce contains too much water and really doesn't give the creaminess or tenderness you get baking with oil and butter. I can always tell when something was made with applesauce.

My secret weapon: Fat Free Greek Yogurt! 
It can be subbed in most baking recipes for oil (1:1) and egg yolks (1 tbsp per yolk). It adds calcium and protein and totally replaces the fat in the oil and egg yolks. It is amazing, and the texture is fluffy and moist.

I used this secret when I made 300+ cakeballs for Christmas, and it was on point. I didn't feel so guilty tasting my handiwork when I was done, although I should have stopped at just 1 : /

I am making cupcakes for some hungry teenagers tomorrow night, so this is my recipe:
1 Duncan Hines Lemon Cake Mix
1 c water
1/2 c + 3 tbsp Fat Free Greek Yogurt
3 large egg whites

I always mix the wet ingredients together with the mixer first, to add some volume to the egg whites. Then I add the cake mix and just mix and bake according to the box directions.

When frosted generously with Betty Crocker Fluffy White Frosting from the dry mix, each cupcake is only 120 calories, 1.5g fat, 24g carbs, 10.3g sugars, and 2.3g protein.

We'll see how the kids like them tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment