Friday, July 9, 2010

Supercharged Breakfast

Some of you who know me personally know that I go to bootcamp every morning before work. When I get home, I don't have any time to eat, even though I should eat right after I work out. For 2 weeks now I have been making protein smoothies for breakfast, so I can sip on them on my way to work. Normally, I want to chew something, and my hunger is not satisfied with drinks. However, I've perfected a smoothie that is so thick its is almost like ice cream. Its thick enough that it actually satisfies my need to chew.

In our new Ninja blender (thanks to R's father), I whoosh together the following:
1 cup milk
3 heaping tbsp MLO Super Protein Powder
2 tbsp Alive Whole Food Energizer Liquid
6 peach slices, frozen
3/4 cup blue berries, frozen


The nutritional info on this is freakishly awesome:
 310 cal, 1.4g fat, 372 mg sodium, 733mg potassium, 42.5 g carbs, 5.5 g fiber, 32 g protein and at least 100% if not more, of all of the RDA listed vitamins and minerals.

My frugal tip: Buy peaches and blueberries in season and freeze them yourself. Peel and slice the peaches, and wash and dry the blueberries on a paper towel. Lay each in a single layer on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for at least an hour. Take them out, store them in an airtight container or bag in the freezer, and you'll always have frozen fruit on hand. The same method works for most berries and fruits that I know of. I haven't tried bananas frozen in slices yet, but I might this week. We'll see!

P.S. Those vitamins kick major butt. I haven't had caffeine in months, and I am WIRED by the time I get to work, just off of the vitamins in that smoothie. Amazing!

3 comments:

  1. i must try this, sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. try mashing the bananas first then freeze in ice cubes. thats what i do with aydens baby food

    ReplyDelete
  3. try mashing the bananas first and freeze in ice cubes. i do this with aydens baby food.

    ana

    ReplyDelete